Uncle Charlie Yakker's Baseball Rants

A look into the mind of baseball fanatic.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Baseball Ramblings

Ya, I LOVE baseball. I am in a career that carries a Utah retirement so there is very little chance I'll ever get to have Season tickets to any major league team.

I am not much of a basketball fan because of the low fan interaction and the high amount of thuggary (is that a word) I just get tired of gangster, ball hogs, being idolized.

To me, baseball is so PURE. So close to perfect. So fluid. So historic.

I love to learn and hear about the old timers. Nothin is better than hearing someone talk about how they used to attend Dodgers games in the 60's. How they didn't appreciate watching the Cards' Bob Gibson throw high and tight without fear of a batter charging the mound. I read a story about how Jim Palmer had such a feel for the baseball. From time to time he'd throw a ball to the ump because he didn't like it-----later in the game the ump would put the ball back into play----upon feeling the baseball, Palmer would throw the ball back and ask for a new one. Gotta love that!!!!

The best part of going to a game is seeing dad's that bring kids to the game. I love seeing that twinkle in the kids eye when you can tell that he's hooked.

It's great to hear some know-it-all fan sitting there talking to his buddy about the game. At some time during the game, I turn around and point out some nuance that VERY few people ever see. Maybe a bench coach moving players into position, or a fielder giving signals to another fielder, maybe a pitcher tipping his pitches.

How many games do you watch and say "I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT HAPPEN BEFORE"????? I say that at least once a game, hehe.

I could go on forever!!!!!! But, I am watching a gamn! Jeter is up----one hopper up the middle----Guy running the second is called out on a "neighborhood" play.....a play you only agree with when its your team making the play.....throw to first and Jeter is safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home