Uncle Charlie Yakker's Baseball Rants

A look into the mind of baseball fanatic.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Baseball rules that suck

Today I was watching the Cleveland/Minnesota game on DirectTV. I know, why would anyone watch "that" game. First of all, as previously posted, I am a baseball FANATIC, so thats part of it. The next part is simple, CC Sabathia, the SP for the Indians (who cannot wear his hat straight) is on my fantasy basecall team. -------to continue my point, if I may.......in the 6th inning, the oposing pitcher gives up a 2 run bomb. His next pitch nails the batter in the ribs. With a little hesitation the Umpire warns the Twins manger and pitcher. Now, this is strange to me, because normally the Ump warns both teams. So the manager of the Twins, Ron Gardenhire goes absolutely nuts, because only his team got warned of course.

The point of this post is that I hate the "warning" rule. In the old days the players would handle these situations all by themselves. Nowadays the umpires are way too involved. It's as if they have total control of the game and they are becoming bigger than the game. It's bad enough that every umpire has "his own" strike zone, but now the rules allow Umps to step in an warn specific players and teams, on a whim. I'd be for the umps not giving "warnings" of future ejections (let alone Coaches and mangers getting tossed too) and letting the pitchers throw at will. I don't have a problem with a pitcher throwing inside, and I don't have a problem with guys getting hit from time to time. I get pissed seeing some of these home run trots, spins and walks. The batters need to be aware that they have a penalty if they try to "show up" another player. On the same token, these damn batters are wearing so much armor, they don't care how far they lean across the plate. Batters need to respect that plate. Or else.

I feel better now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Charlie Yakker said...

How come pitchers can go to their mouths 5 feet from the rubber, but if they are on the hill the umps all a balk?

Sunday, June 26, 2005 8:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home